Thursday, August 8, 2013

Om. My. Goodness.

There are so many things that make me wanna shake my tailfeathers about this training team. The stellar coaches. The small group. The individualized workouts to challenge me. And YOGA. Yoga for runners. Yoga early in the morning, stretching my hips and my  hamstrings and making my whole body feel happy-glowy like I stretched, strengthened, and took a nap all in the course of an hour. When I heard Lululemon would be joining CVE for this team, I knew it meant one thing- YOGA. And I am so so happy to have it.
I actively disliked yoga the first five or so times I tried it. It felt like a trick, led by peaceful gymnasts who tell you to "Relax" as you contort your body to make your nose meet your knee while you connect your elbow to your tailbone and gaze at the tip of your nose. However, a combination of needing something to balance out the running and wanting an activity that felt like it was 100% devoted to taking care of my tight, knotty muscles led me to keep trying classes. I've tried so many classes and am in love with the diversity of yoga. There's gentle yoga when every inch of your body hurts, power yoga when you need to feel strong. There's vinyasa for when you really want to move, and yin yoga to let your muscles experience true release. There's hot yoga for when you want to sweat, and Bikram yoga when you feel like punishing yourself. (Sorry, I know some people love it, but Bikram and I are not friends.) It can be intimidating, awkward, and flat out weird. The combined effect of close quarters, extremely tight clothing, and angles that put body parts and organs in new locations can make for a supremely awkward and hilariously amusing hour of your life. The funny thing is that at some point- sooner than you think- as you're actively trying not to think about how the lady in front of you should put more thought into her undergarment selection, you stop caring. You realize that your energy is needed to keep your elbow attached to your knee and you head from crashing into the floor. There will be a class when the teacher's cue to "Notice how you're feeling and then let it go." will actually  happen. You'll wonder where the thought went, and then you'll return to the moment and- eventually- find your balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment