Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I thought I already wrote this post...

But apparently that just happened in my head, not on the computer...

So. VO2 Max. Is that something for your car? Welcome to the world of training with an endurance coach. In simple terms (really, I didn't write this before? It feels so familiar....)

(Mystery solved. I typed this up in a Word document on my computer so I could be sure it was thoroughly spell-checked. Love you Mom.)

My morning began bright dark? and early for my VO2 max test with Bob. It’s a highly technical scientific process that involves me running on a treadmill until failure (not a word I like to see in the same sentence as treadmill.) In simple terms, the test determines my peak oxygen intake. This helps my coaches determine target heart rates and paces and all those numbers that runners love to nerd out on before/during/after workouts. Hooked up to a heart rate monitor and a mask to monitor oxygen intake, I hopped on Bob’s treadmill, thoughtfully situated in front of a floor to ceiling mirror. (In case there was any question that strapping a mask to your un-showered 6am face does not make you any more impressive.) To give you an idea,



It wasn’t terrible, I didn’t fly off the treadmill. As Bob explained the results, it was interesting to hear the story my body’s stats tell, in comparison to the story my body (mind) tells me when I run. It all made sense when Bob explained it, but honestly, I think everything his explanation didn't quite gel because of the depleted oxygen stores, but basically, with some specific training, I could be a pretty efficient (fast?) runner. Re-reading that statement, I guess that applies to just about everyone, huh?

Specifics aside, here's what I took away from the experience:
1. Scientific proof (!) that my body can handle more.
2. The "I'm not an athlete" excuse holds slightly less weight now. I may not have played soccer in high school or run cross country since I was 13, but what does that have to do with today, tomorrow, and next year?
3. Mirrors in front of treadmills are rude.


No comments:

Post a Comment